Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Calorie Tracking: What Works for Me

As I’ve mentioned before, FitDay is a calorie tracker which I’ve used with great success. However, a friend mentioned another free online one at the Daily Plate (thanks, Julie!) so I decided to check it out. It is much more user friendly and seems to have a far more extensive database of foods and activities. AND, it says I can eat more food :)

We’ve got a winner, folks! I’ve been really dragging lately and having a hard time logging in all of my food. I start out well during the day but develop selective memory in the evenings. Having a fresh new fun tool will help reinvigorate my efforts (one can hope!) The best game plan for me is always to pre-track what I plan to eat later that evening. I did that today so I’m off to a good start.

One of the toughest things for me and for a lot of people, I guess, is when I’m out of my routine. When I know I’m going home to cook and eat my own food, I can plan pretty easily. But when I’m going out for some social occasion, it gets a little dicier. At least I know what I can plan on for the Personal Finance bloggers get-together tomorrow – it’s half price night for burgers where we’re meeting :) And that’s OK, awesome in fact, because I know in advance and can plan around it. Knowing I have a juicy burger to look forward to makes it WAY easier to eat lighter during the day.

For a little insight on today’s progress, here are some excerpts from “My Plate”:




I’m always up for learning about new fun strategies and tools for weight loss – anybody discover anything new lately?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm loving "Lose It" on the iPhone. It was free (although the iPhone is not!) and it is very convenient to immediately log food into my phone as soon as I eat. Seeing how many calories I have left for the day is also helpful.

Jenn

SavingDiva said...

I'm still struggling to write down everything that I eat! When I get into that habit, then I'll start looking for tracking tools online :)