Monday, February 13, 2012

Sweet Treats

Even a Paleo girl needs a treat now and then. With Valentine's Day approaching, I thought I'd share a few of my current favorites. I’ve made these Chocolate Chip Muffins several times over the past few weeks and they’re always a hit. Cute Man even brought them to a bake sale and they went like gangbusters – nobody had any clue there was anything different about them. Using coconut flour is very different from using regular or even the almond flour I like to use. It soaks up a LOT of liquid. You’ll notice there are 6 eggs to only a ½ cup of flour in the linked recipe. That’s not a typo and it’s not up for negotiation. I love to experiment and do my own thing with recipes, but you have to be super careful with baking. Unless you really understand how the ingredients work together, it’s best to follow it as is before deviating too much. In any case, this one needs no tinkering. It’s just that good.

Another important factor is the quality of ingredients. I get my coconut flour from Tropical Traditions. It’s the only brand I’ve ever used and it works out really well with all the recipes I’ve tried (LOVE these Coconut Flour Pancakes!) I’ve heard many complain that other more commercially available brands like Bob’s Red Mill don’t always turn out as well. I can’t say for sure, but I know I won’t be messing with a good thing. I also love these cute Enjoy Life Mini Chips. I can get them at my local grocery store as well as online. They are gluten and dairy free, which is nice. I should also mention that these gluten free muffins can easily be made dairy free if you use coconut oil or Spectrum Naturals Organic Shortening (no trans fats!) instead of butter. I like the butter, though :) The author does mention that she once made them without any butter, oil, etc. by mistake and they turned out well so you might be able to cut the amount down or omit it, if fat is a concern for you (more vitamin K2 for me!) The final touch is to use my Muffin-Top Pan. I just love the texture. I usually make half in that and half in the regular muffin tin so that I can make them all at once (I have one of each). Both are good but the muffin tops are just more… fun.

In advance of V-Day, I will be making these peanut butter cups (using cashew butter) and peppermint patties for some real homemade deliciousness. I have yet to try either recipe but I have high hopes! They are to be a little sweet surprise for Cute Man (glad he’ll be way too busy to read this before he sees them tonight!)

I hope you all have a great Valentines Day!

No comments: