Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Guest Posting on Paleo Parents, Balanced Bites Seminar, and Overcoming Sugar


I am over-the-moon excited about my new role over at the Paleo Parents’ Blog. I get first dibs on some of the latest books coming out in the Paleo arena as well as sample new products. Best of all, I get to share my opinions and interact with the community on a larger scale. I first met Matt and Stacy at one of their Paleo Meet-ups at their house in Virginia. I was so happy to find out they were in my local area and were so in to fostering community. Despite an unfortunate incident involving me not being able to find their front door, they put first impressions aside to invite me on board along with some other fantastic women. Stay tuned for my first book reviews coming up later this month.

Another memorable event this month was last weekend’s Balanced Bites Seminar here in DC. It was an amazing opportunity to be a part of what may be Diane and Liz’s final seminar together, at least for the foreseeable future. They were both as lovely and gracious as I would have thought based on listening in each week on their podcast. I even got to snag the photo above, thanks to Stacy (of Paleo Parents) and Anne (also on the Paleo Parents’ team). I almost punked out, but they didn’t let me. True friends! It was also a treat to meet Primal Toad (I gave him a ride back to his hotel) as well as hang out with Bill and Haley from The Food Lovers. They are just adorable and their newly adopted little puppy was too cute for words. As someone who really immerses myself in all this Paleo Stuff, it was like the internet coming to life. Such a blast!

Underlying all this Paleo excitement lingers a bit of a personal tension. Since my last Whole 30, I’ve been struggling with my relationship with food in general and sugar in particular. I’ve found myself overeating to the place where I start to feel uncomfortable and even have gotten heartburn later a couple of times. I can’t really remember the last time I experienced this kind of behavior.  I also crave sweets and have turned to Paleo baking and chocolate. Although I feel calm on the surface, I think I’m dealing with some latent stress that I’m suppressing. I guess I need to spend some time with myself figuring out what that’s all about.
 
I’m also going back and forth about doing another Whole 30. I can honestly say that when I was coming towards the end of this last attempt (I made it 26 days, I think), I really felt fantastic both mentally and physically. But, obviously I was still fighting it, evidenced by my ending early and going slightly off the rails since. I both crave and rebel against the structure of it. I’m leaning towards giving it another shot, mostly because I’m simply not feeling great right now.

All this is to say that I surely do not have all this figured out. I’m not much for weighing myself lately, but I can confidently say that I’m proud to have kept off the lion’s share of the 50 lbs I initially lost going low carb, then Paleo (based on clothing). I’m in this for the long haul. My number one goal is to get myself back to feeling fabulous again. I know from experience that focusing on nourishing myself with food and working out is the way to get there. That breeds a feeling of accomplishment that spurs me on. So that’s what I’m going to do: keep up The Smarter Science of Slim workouts (these have been going great, by the way), and get back on track with my food. Whether that’s with a Whole 30, 21 Day Sugar Detox, or just my own version of strict Paleo is to be determined. I will keep you posted.

Are you struggling with any of this stuff, or is it just me? Chime in an let me know how it’s going.
 



3 comments:

MJ said...

You have nailed how I've been feeling & behaving since January's Whole 30 ended (guest blogging and seminar-ing aside, that is). I am debating which is the best path forward, but really believe there has to be some sort of middle ground that is sustainable in the long run. What my definition of that is remains to be seen as well.

HEALTHY AMELIA said...

Yeah, I think finding that sustainable lifestyle is the holy grail of this journey! The biggest problem for me seems to be the sugar. I am beginning to make peace with making that a “no” food for me. I have long since let go of wheat products, to the point where they do not tempt me at all in any real way. I sometimes think it would be wonderful to have a piece of crusty bread, but it doesn’t consume me and it’s more like a passing thought. My thoughts on sugar have been less hard lined and that leaves that opening for those insidious cravings to which I often give in. When I was doing the Whole 30, sugar was a “no”. It was hard, especially at first, but it was also peaceful. I didn’t have to entertain those thoughts anymore, agonizing about whether to give in or not. I’m also going to let go of using stevia (mostly in tea). I just read on The Paleo Mom that it might have some effects on hormones and even fertility. I’ve never heard that before and it’s not a for-sure thing AT ALL (I don’t want to alarm anyone), but even the slightest chance that it could be negative is reason to let it go for me. I also think that any suggestion of added sweetness can have a negative effect on me personally, spurring me to crave the real thing. My first priority is getting the sweet taste out of my life, with the exception of maybe a piece or two of fruit a day. That seemed to help a lot with the Whole 30 (having a little fruit). Let me know how it’s going with you! I love comparing notes. You and I seem to be on a similar path.

cirugia bariatrica said...

"My number one goal is to get myself back to feeling fabulous again"
I know is a feeling but you already look fabulous