Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Noodle Obsession (Keto Update)

I am officially obsessed with making noodles with my spiral slicer and the website dedicated to all things spiralized: Inspiralized.com. This egg drop soup variation is my latest recreation and it is so delicious. Making it with homemade beef broth really made it sing. I've also been having fun just putting tomato sauce on zucchini noodles with the odd meatball and/or Parmesan cheese. I've also whipped up some macadamia nut pesto, which is amazing on zucchini noodles.

I've tried my hand at veggie based noodles before with a Julienne Peeler but my new gadget is definitely superior in every way. It's faster, easier, and the noodles are much more appealing. It's hard to describe, but the effect is a more round, spaghetti-like noodle that tastes a lot better and produces a great texture. I also like that it wastes far less of the vegetable, particularly when using zucchini.

I've also had luck with yellow squash (almost the same as zucchini) and carrots. The carrots require a little more pressure but they come out wonderfully. I've put the carrot noodles in a pan with butter and sage for some amazing noodles and even put them in with eggs for an easy omelet. I put off getting a spiral slicer for a long time, thinking it's a useless gadget, but now I am so happy I changed my mind!

So far, I've only been using the spaghetti-like blade. I will see if the others are just as good. The best news is incorporating all of these vegetable-based noodles into my diet has really helped up my daily veggie quotient. The result: lower carb and calorie counts on my daily totals on My Fitness Pal! Win/win, if you ask me.

How do YOU like your veggie noodles? 


No comments: