Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Operation Fit by Forty - Keto Edition

This is a big year for me. I just turned 39 and I'm looking down the road, right at 40. I've decided that it's high time to get my act together and become the healthy mama I've always dreamed of being.  I've come to realize that I have a true problem with sugar and all things sweet, whether they have calories or not. As a result, as of my birthday in late August, I have sworn off all sweeteners for the foreseeable future, most definitely until my next birthday. 
It is such a scary prospect, giving up something entirely. It's truly frightening to use the word, "never". That is, until I make the definitive decision. After that point, everything becomes easier. I did this with gluten years ago. It doesn't faze me to be around it - it's like it's not even food to me anymore. It's a hard NO so I don't have to expend any willpower to resist it. It's not a decision I need to make. That decision was made long ago and now all I have to do is follow through. 

I recently realized that I never made that hard and fast decision in regard to sugar and certainly not no-calorie sweeteners. I thought the latter was just fine as long as I stuck to the "better" ones like stevia. That always left the door open to some - but how much? Trying to moderate this, did take up my willpower, and keeping my taste for all things sweet with noncaloric sweeteners induced me to want the real thing not too much later. 

In my efforts to support my decision, I'm adding some tools: 

Never Binge Again: This book gave me permission to just say no to sweeteners and that it's OK to put things on the never list. I also now know that all those feable objections are all coming from my inner "Pig" who just wants to eat and eat whatever she wants, regardless of the consequences. 

Keto Coaching: I've been doing email coaching with Katrina. She has an incredible story and is inspiring me to stay the course! It is great having someone to check in with. 

Power Supply: I've wanted to try this meal service for a long time. I've decided to go this route after doing Sunbasket for a time (similar to Blue Apron but all organic and Paleo is an option). For a similar cost, the meals are already prepared and I don't have to pay any shipping because I pick food up at a local drop location. I'm not doing this for all my meals, just for work lunches and as a fill-in for those times I'd otherwise be tempted to order take-out or eat something quick and easy, but not particularly satisfying. It will also add a bit more variety into my diet. I've gotten stuck in a rut lately and I don't seem to have the gumption to get super creative in the kitchen myself right now. Sometimes, I just wish there was something already there and ready to go. And now there will be! I start on Thursday and I'm super excited. My referral code is LMQM, if you want to try it out, too. 

Since going completely off sweeteners two weeks ago, I've seen my appetite lessen and all my cravings disappear. It is an amazing thing! And it's getting me results: I've seen 5 lbs go on the scale. That of course is not the end all be all, but it is an encouraging sign. My ultimate goal is to be 50-75 lbs down this time next year. 

No comments: