Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Where I've Been

I moved to the DC area in 2000 and have worked as a teacher, spa coordinator, and in advertising at a non-profit. I have had a life-long battle with my weight and am trying to get fitter and healthier. Walking, jogging, and yoga are all helping me work towards those goals. I belong to the Arlington Road Runners Club and am working up to doing a 5k using the Couch to 5k podcasts. I plan to start training for the VA Beach Rock n’ Roll Half Marathon with ARRC this Spring. Previously, I ran/walked the Marine Corps Marathon two times in 2003 and 2004 using the Galloway run/walk method. I also work a few hours a month at a yoga studio in exchange for free classes.

I woke up to my financial struggle about four years ago when I started dating Cute Man. I realized that the mindless spending on my credit cards had to stop and I had to do something to get control over the situation. I had done a bunch of balance transfers previously to get the 0% interest but sometimes they wouldn’t take my whole balance – I ended up with 6 cards and was feeling overwhelmed. So I did some research and decided to consolidate them all through a non-profit agency. That brought me down to one (large) payment a month and got me to abandon using my cards. That was an important step but I still was living hand to mouth. It was only about 6 months ago that I finally really nailed down my budget and began automated savings. I’m also now paying extra on my debts with the goal of paying them off completely within one year (by April 1, 2009).

No comments: