Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Where I Am

My biggest support system (second only to my Cute Man and my wonderful family) is an online group I found on the Weight Watchers message boards. We’re called the DC Ducks and we keep in touch daily on our thread (the pond) and quite often in person as well. The friendship and wealth of fresh ideas that I’ve found with them has led me to gain a greater understanding of myself and my purpose. I finally realized around this past New Year that it was time to stop all the battling and struggling – with my weight and my finances. I finally woke up to the fact that it’s not a war I’m waging against my fat or debts, but more of a quest for mindfulness in the way that I treat my body and finances. I am striving for equilibrium and it’s not something that will ever be completed or perfect. Balance is not a static state but the sum total of many micro-adjustments. The important thing is to keep trying, and eventually, it will all average out to be where I want it to be.

So I’ve given up the fight and have ironically found more success in both areas. I find myself being more forgiving and it’s a lot easier to let go of minor setbacks. I also build in a good deal of wiggle room into both my budget and eating plan so I have room for fun things without wreaking havoc on my goals. Although I’m no longer a Weight Watchers paying customer, I still use their Flex plan as a guide for me. I try to keep the same outlook I have towards tracking my spending when it comes to tracking my food intake. I like the short hand of Points and have made peace with journaling my food. It’s just a tool for keeping tabs, just like for money. As I start this blog in mid-March 2008, I am down 13 lbs since January and have smashed one of my credit cards down to 1/3 of what it was while still making my consolidated payments.

No comments: