Friday, November 18, 2011

Thanksgiving Menu

This year I’m thankful for… the Internet. As you can see below, all of the recipes I will be using for our big Turkey Day Feast come from around the web. I look forward to pulling up this post on my brand new Kindle Fire and easily bouncing back and forth between pages as I cook. I plan to do most of my shopping Sunday afternoon at Trader Joes but I will also be stopping by Wegmans for whatever items I can’t get at TJs. I’m going to be able to do most of the prep and even some of the cooking on Wednesday since I took the day off. That will make Thursday a little more relaxed and I’ll be able to focus on the Turkey and the last minute items.

All of the recipes are Amelia-approved. I figure since I’m the one cooking it all, I sure as well should be able to eat what I make. A holiday like this is the perfect opportunity to go off plan for a bit and live it up – I get that. But for me, I feel so good eating this way, why would I want to intentionally set myself up for feeling like crap afterwards? That’s not to say everything is 100% strict Paleo. For one thing, there’s quite a bit of heavy cream, butter, and cheese going on in this meal. I guess you could call it more “primal” than “paleo”. All those terms are so fluid anyway, though. There are some sweet treats involved that follow my usual concession to those types of things: definitely gluten free and low in sugar (but not necessarily completely sugar free). That being said, I haven’t neglected the needs of my guests. I put a lot of thought into my choices and I think they will appeal to everybody. Good food is good food.

Without further ado, here is what I'm making:

Apple Cider Soda

Sage and Butternut Squash Soup

Brined Turkey

Gravy

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

Garlic and Herb Mashed Cauliflower

Green Bean Casserole

Cheesy Cauliflower Bake

Grain Free Bread Stuffing

Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Brown Butter Pumpkin Cake with Honey-Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting

Pumpkin Cookies

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day!

No comments: