Friday, February 24, 2012

This Week in Food

Being away in San Francisco, it was interesting to see how I handled being out of my routine, food-wise. It went rather well, surprisingly! The place where I was staying offered in-room breakfast that you could pick. So... I picked an egg, bacon, and sausage for each morning. It was perfect! I cannot say enough about HomeAway.com, by the way. I found this great place in a great location for a great price! They had this cool gadget which poached my eggs and had space to heat up the pre-cooked breakfast meat. This went a long way in starting me off on the right foot each day.


I did also bring along a carton of Quest Bars, which I relied on during the days when I was out and about. I still have some lingering “issues” with food. Even though I no longer have the crazy blood sugar crashes, I do get a bit panicky if I don’t have something on hand, just in case. The bars aren’t Real Food and aren’t something that I plan to incorporate into my daily eating, but they were terrific for traveling. The sweet taste did spark some carb cravings, though, so I’m not sure if I will go this route again. As for carbs, I did eat some white potatoes, rice, and rice noodles during the trip (a medium to large serving about once per day, usually at dinner). I also ate a little more chocolate than usual. With all the walking I did, it wasn’t anything to really worry about. The only issue for me is the slippery slope factor. I didn’t go crazy with the carbs at all and start stuffing my face but I did notice an increase in my overall appetite while including them. As a result, I’m going to pull back again and stick to veggies, nuts, and some grain-free baked treats for my carb sources for now.

It always helps to have a plan, so I’m back at it! Since this is a weird week after coming back from the trip, we’ve been using up what we have in the freezer: lots of meat/seafood plus frozen vegetables. Not very creative, but definitely good and filling. I am looking forward to hitting the store over the weekend to get myself prepared for a bit of a more varied menu. As usual, I don’t assign things to specific days. This plan is to take us through the next couple of weeks.

To make over the weekend for quick grab and go lunches and dinners:

Chicken Salad/stock from a whole chicken
Butternut Squash Soup (using some of the aforementioned stock)
Burgers made with BBQ spice (bought in San Fran)
Baked Wings painted with melted butter and sprinkled with seasoning blend and salt
Curried Meatballs
Brown Rice*

Easy weeknight dinners to cook on the fly:

Taco Salad
Orange Chicken with broccoli
Pan seared sirloin steak over salad
Salmon with green beans and almonds
Shrimp cocktail with ketchup and a side salad

Breakfast items

Eggs to poach in my new microwave poacher
Bacon (have on hand from US Wellness Meats)
Hot Chocolate (almond milk, coconut oil, cocoa powder, vanilla, cinnamon, and stevia + mini blender = filling and delicious)

Snacks

Homemade trail mix with assorted nuts, raisins, and coconut flakes
Salami
Hot dogs
Hard boiled eggs
Chips and Salsa*

Treats

Peanut Butter Cashew Butter Squares
Chocolate Chip Muffins

*For Cute Man

No comments: