Friday, November 15, 2013

Thanksgiving Planning (Keto and Paleo Friendly)


Holiday planning when eating differently from most folks can be a challenge. However, I choose not to think that way. I, quite humbly, believe myself to be an excellent cook and only make and share items that I know almost anybody would like, regardless of dietary preferences. In other words, I refuse to serve stuff that I think of as "good for gluten free". 

I'm also over the idea of "treating" myself with foods that make me feel like crap. For better or for worse, I've become adept enough to make extremely tasty things that don't hurt me. That's what I consider a treat. If, like me, you are shooting for a Keto lifestyle, be careful with the cookie recipes. They DO contain maple syrup so they need to be limited. Just a little PSA. Also, if you can handle a few off-plan adventures of the more standard variety, more power to you. My way isn't the right way, just the right way for me.

Many foods are naturally gluten free so making them tasty isn't especially challenging (think, the turkey or sweet potatoes or green beans -- see, it's not that hard!) I've also amassed a recipe arsenal of delicious gluten free baked goodies that seam to please everybody. I dare you to find someone who doesn't swoon for the Food Lovers' Chocolate Chip Cookies. Definitely not "good for gluten free". They always disappear fast at parties (and not just the Paleo Potlucks)!

This year, we are teaming up with our delightful neighbors for a combined Thanksgiving with a smattering of friends and family. We wound up enjoying a double feast last year by having a second meal on Black Friday with them. This year, we're just combining on the actual day for full effect. As a result, we haven't worked out the details yet. I have no idea what others plan to bring yet. Last year, the neighbors made a Turducken. Perhaps that'll happen again? If not, I can roast a Turkey like nobody's business so I didn't even bother with a recipe below. Those recipes can be found anywhere. Alton Brown's Brined Turkey is awesome sauce.


In the meantime, me being me, I've been trolling the internet for new and fun recipes plus reinvented old standbys to have at the ready, should they fit into the larger scheme of things. I've also found a few things that maybe wouldn't be necessarily right for the main meal, but will be awesome to complement the leftovers. Here's what I've got!
Gingerbread Pear Cake from Paleo Sweets and Treats

If you're in the US, what do you have planned for the big Turkey Day? And if not, what are some of your favorite holiday recipes? 





No comments: